The Vietnamese language program for students is one of the top concerns of parents when letting their children study at international schools. Parents all want that their children will not have difficulties in using Vietnamese as well as achieve comprehensive bilingualism development. At International School Saigon Pearl (ISSP), parents can feel assured because ISSP has many additional Vietnamese classes in the international curriculum for Vietnamese students every week. For more information about the Vietnamese language program for preschool and primary school students at ISSP, please read the below article.
Visit International School Saigon Pearl (ISSP) to experience the Vietnamese language program for preschool and primary school students
Concerns of parents about their children’s use of Vietnamese at international schools using 100% English in teaching and learning
In Vietnam, international schools provide children with a good educational environment, meeting international standards to acquire knowledge and develop necessary life skills comprehensively from an early age. However, many parents are still quite concerned when letting their children study at international schools that use 100% English in teaching and learning. They worry that their children may have problems using Vietnamese such as not speaking Vietnamese well or not being able to read and write Vietnamese due to exposure to foreign environments for a long time. Therefore, parents should choose international schools with an additional Vietnamese language program for their children from preschool and primary school.
Read more: TOP 5 international preschools and kindergartens in Ho Chi Minh City
Vietnamese language program for preschool and primary school students at International School Saigon Pearl (ISSP)
Located in Binh Thanh District, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, International School Saigon Pearl (ISSP) is a prestigious and high quality international school of Ho Chi Minh City for students from 18 months to 11 years old. ISSP is not only a member of the international education group Cognita with more than 85 school members worldwide, but also the only international preschool and primary school in Ho Chi Minh City that is fully certified by two prestigious international organizations, CIS (Council of International School) and NEASC (New England Association of Schools and Colleges). At the present, the school is also an IB candidate school to teach the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB PYP).
In order to help students understand Vietnamese culture and be fluent in both English and Vietnamese, ISSP organizes many additional classes teaching the Vietnamese language program for preschool and primary school students regularly and scientifically.
For Early Years (EY) classes, students will focus on Vietnamese language development and learn about Vietnamese culture.
- EY1 – EY4: EY students will study this subject 2 periods/rotation in a 6-day rotation model at ISSP. It is called HCS (learning Vietnamese culture in English). In HCS, foreign students will study together with Vietnamese students. The requirements of HCS for foreign students will be lower than Vietnamese students.
- Kindergarten (KG): For better preparation to enter Grade 1 next year, KG students will study the Vietnamese language program for leaf class 3 periods/rotation. Only Vietnamese students participate in this class because of using entirely Vietnamese in teaching and learning. Foreign students will learn Chinese in Mandarin classes.
>> The Early Year Curriculum of ISSP <<
For Elementary classes, students will learn Vietnamese lessons with 5 subjects including Literature, Ethics, Nature and Society, History and Geography every week.
- Grades 1, 2, 3: Literature, Ethics, Nature and Society
- Grades 4, 5: Literature, Ethics, History and Geography
- Class time: Students will study these subjects 1 period/day, 6 periods/rotation and afternoon extracurricular hours.
- Only Vietnamese students participate in Vietnamese classes. Foreign students will take part in HCS class with 3 periods/rotation and Mandarin classes with 3 periods/rotation.
Moreover, with an integrated international curriculum mainly designed by the IB PYP framework, students will learn topics in 6 transdisciplinary themes integrated with Vietnamese culture to help students better understand about Vietnamese culture and society, as follows:
- For preschool students: The learning topics are mainly related to profession, public transport, themselves, their families, preschools and community. In addition, preschool students will learn other topics about beauty spots, cultural events and festivals in Vietnam..
- For primary school students:
- Grade 1: Students will learn many different topics such as a place where they live; people in the community, local community, school; members in their school, their class, their family; New Year and festivals; day and night, period of time, clock and time, days of the week; trees and animals around human, how to take care and protect trees and animals…
- Grade 2: Students will mainly learn about two big topics including school and family as well as date and time; telling the time, date, month; practice using the calendar…
- Grade 3: Children will focus on topics about some main activities of the school and how to be safe at school.
- Grade 4: At this level, students will learn about advanced knowledge related to matters and energy, light, heat, sound, air as well as metabolism in plants and animals, the food chain.
>> The Elementary Curriculum of ISSP <<
International Preschool and Primary School Saigon Pearl (ISSP) always welcomes parents to visit ISSP and experience ISSP’s facilities and international curriculum. Parents can contact ISSP’s Admissions Office for more information or book a school tour via:
- Phone number: +84 (028) 2222 7788.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The above article of International School Saigon Pearl provides parents all information about the Vietnamese language program for students at ISSP. Hopefully, through this article, parents will better understand the integrated international curriculum at ISSP and feel assured to let their children study here.