The size of primary class is a big concern for many parents in deciding to let their children study at any school. They wonder if the class is too crowded, can the teachers cover and take care of all students? Please read the following article of International School Saigon Pearl (ISSP), the high quality international school in Saigon, to discover how the size of primary class at international schools and public schools affects the quality of education.
Visit International School Saigon Pearl (ISSP) in Saigon to experience benefits of small class size to students
How does class size affect the quality of education?
Current status of overcrowded class size in public schools and its disadvantages
One of the problems that many public schools have been facing is that the size of primary class is quite overcrowded. At many schools, there are up to 40 or 50 students per class, which puts pressure on teachers in teaching and managing the classroom.
Some current inadequacies because of the overcrowded class size of public primary schools are as follows:
- There are 4 students sitting and studying at the same table. Many short or near-sighted students have to sit at the back of the class which makes it difficult for them to follow the teacher’s lectures.
- In classes with 40 to 50 students, maintaining order is quite difficult for teachers in the teaching process. Just a few of them talking will affect the learning process of other students.
>> Read more information about Kindergarten and Elementary Curriculum at International School Saigon Pearl
Advantages of small class size at an international primary school
In Vietnamese public schools, the number of students in a class is up to 40 or 50 which more or less affects the teaching process and learning quality for students. However, at international primary schools in Ho Chi Minh City, class sizes are usually 10 to 25 students. This is one of the prerequisites that parents often choose an international school for their children to attend.
For example, at International Preschool and Primary School Saigon Pearl, the number of students in a class is just 15 to 22 students. In which, the number of students in preschool classes is usually from 15 to 18, kindergarten classes are 20 and primary classes are 22.
Advantages of primary class size at international schools are listed out below.
- Teachers will have more time to interact with each student. They can easily observe each student’s attitude, expression and learning ability. From there, teachers will personally and in collaboration with parents build a personalized learning path for each student. This will help them develop their strengths and improve their weaknesses. At the same time, the teachers will also help students find the right learning methods for themselves and orientate to the next level of education and the future development plan.
- By receiving the attention and dedicated guidance of teachers in class and parents at home, children will become more confident and develop faster. This will form a comfortable psychology, a positive and excited attitude, and a self-disciplined learning habit for students. In the classroom, children are able to ask more questions and express their opinions. Thereby, they will develop self-study ability, analytical skills, thinking skills, etc.
International Primary School Saigon Pearl (ISSP)
International School Saigon Pearl (ISSP) is the high quality Saigon international school belonging to the Cognita group for early years and primary students from 18 months to 11 years old. ISSP is the only international preschool and primary school in Ho Chi Minh City that is fully accredited by both New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) and Council of International Schools (CIS). In 2021, ISSP became one of the candidate schools to teach the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB PYP).
At ISSP, the number of students in primary classes is allocated according to international standards from 15 to 25 students. Specifically, each class should not exceed 22 students. Besides, each teacher always cares, supports, advises and orients students in a way that is appropriate for their comprehensive development.
Readmore: The curriculum built on IB PYP framework at International Primary School Saigon Pearl
International Primary School Saigon Pearl (ISSP) always encourages parents and students to visit the school for practical experiences and feelings about the international environment at ISSP. Parents can book a school tour or contact the ISSP Admissions Office for more information via:
- Phone: +84 (028) 2222 7788.
- Email: email@example.com.
The size of primary class is one of the important factors determining the quality of education in schools. Therefore, before deciding to send children to any school, parents should carefully find out all related information such as curriculum, class size, facilities, tuition fee, etc. A good educational environment helps children develop comprehensively not only the knowledge but also necessary life skills on their own learning journey.